Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Hard Times

Holy Cow.
College campuses seem to by like breeding grounds for stress and anxiety. If anyone feels differently, please share with me the number to your school's admissions office so i can transfer. This past week became one of the most difficult weeks that i have faced in a very long time. I had a week to re-write ten-page research paper, prepare a supreme court case speech, study for a large old testament exam, and complete my regular assignments. I got so stressed out and could barely handle the pressure. My roomate helped out a lot but he couldn't stiffle the messages that i was hearing.

"How are you going to keep your scholarships if you GPA is already struggling as a first semester freshman?"-- "Maybe social work shouldn't be your major if you don't even care much about getting an education?"--"Maybe you should focus more on your fall-back plan"-- "You really think you are good enough to keep up with work loads like this?"

These messages are what kept me in a realm of apathy for the greater part of last weekend. I got so behind in all of my assignments and would stare at a computer screen for many frustrating hours believing that i coulln't do what i wanted because i didn't have what it took. Once the day came, however, like in a typical sit com everything fell into place like magic.  I praised God for the work that, by His grace, He was willing to bless me with. It was yesterday afternnon that i reveled in His glory as i got to witness His mercy in my life.

But soon i had to quetion....

Why does it seem that hard times bring such a raw sense of God's power? Why are my eyes able to see God in a more clear way in the midst of adversity? Does God want me close and therefore want me to go through hard times?

Here is what Andrew Murray believes based on an excerpt about his reflections of John 15:3 -
   
        "What is the pruning knife of this heavenly Husbandman? It is often said to be affliction, but is this the tool He uses? How would it then fare with many who have long seasons free adversity; or with some on whom God appears to shower down kindness all their life? No; it is the Word of God that is the knife, sharper than any two-edged sword, that pierces even to the dividing asunder of the soul and spirit, and that is quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart"
                                - Andrew Murray

So maybe times that bring us closer to God have little to do with the circumstance and much more to do with what the circumstances reveal about our hearts by the power of the Word that was there in the begining and now lives with us in our hearts. Rejoice, and always abide in Him.

Love, Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment